Should I use yarn?
Myles Borins (@thealphanerd) recently ran citgm with yarn, and shared the results. It was 25 minutes faster than npm, but 20 modules failed to install. Yarn is not a drop in replacement.
Some areas where issues arise:
- Reliance on npm-shrinkwrap.json
- Private modules on npm
- Modules backed by self-signed certificates
- Exotic dependencies declarations like .zip or shorthand urls
- Edge case issues on specific OSes, like Windows
- Pre- and post-script hooks don’t work like they do in npm
- Scripts that rely on npm environmental variables