Choosing a wireless router in 2019
I found this guide to be extremely helpful. It was written in 2018 but the basic concepts are still true.
Do read it if you want to learn what factors to consider when buying a wireless router in 2019.
Tldr; I ended up buying Netgear Orbi RBK40. Or money is not a constraint, then Netgear Orbi RBK50. Here’re why:
- 802.11AC is a must. AX is not available yet.
- 3 and 4 streams are still expensive for home usage. Orbi RBK40 has 2 streams and tri-band. Tri-band doesn’t increase coverage or speed but it does help make a better backhaul (eg: handling more devices + Wi-Fi system performance in general)
- Multipoint is better in my case (house with lots of wall)
- Dedicated backhaul (2X2 (866Mbps)). This is a major factor for Wi-Fi performance.
- Ethernet backhaul is possible.
- Lots of Ethernet ports. USB port also.
- 512 MB RAM 😱
- Mesh because it’s extendable. I can just buy more satellite if I move to a bigger house.
- Phenomenon performance in reviews.